Coat: Old Navy — Brooch: From my friend Leah’s free pile — Sweater: Goodwill — Skirt: Goodwill — Tights: Hue — Boots: Macy’s — Necklace: Goodwill
Happy Friday, mis amigas! I got tagged in a little info-meme and thought it would be a fun way to round out the week over here.
Ki of Dressing Up For Life tagged me and here are the rules:
1. Post these rules
2. Post 11 random things about yourself
3. Answer the questions set for you by the tagger
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you have tagged to answer
5. Tag 11 ‘peeps’
So here are 11 random things about me:
1. I don’t drink. I don’t mind if other people do, but I don’t like the taste, and for various family and genetic reasons, it’s better that I abstain. I hate the sound of the word “teetotaler,” though. And I’ll tell you, it’s amazing, the things that people assume about you when you’re a non-drinker!
2. I have been to the following countries besides the United States: Canada, Mexico, Germany, Switzerland, Austria. I would love to travel more, but I also have reservations/fears about being an intrusive, ignorant tourist.
3. Despite having five or six years of anime convention costuming under my belt, I am a terrible seamstress. Patterns baffle me, and my seams and hems come out crooked and rippled no matter how hard I try to go slowly and keep things neat. I still try, though!
4. I took horseback riding lessons for two years in high school, and I still miss it. What I don’t miss are the poopy shoes.
5. I can’t flare my nostrils. I don’t know why, but I just don’t have control over the muscles there that everybody else seems to. I can wiggle my ears and my scalp, though, which seems like a fair trade.
6. I love listening to music while driving, and I also love to sing along. Loudly. Other people in the car frequently do not enjoy this, but it’s extremely satisfying for me.
7. I am left-handed, and am the only left-hander in my immediate family (unless you count my stepdad). My handwriting is also terrible, but I don’t think the two are connected.
8. I was in a Space & Engineering program in high school, which meant aside from regular math/English/history classes, I also got to take classes where we built bridges, towers, marble sorters, and suchlike. I then proceeded to enter college as a Literature major and have nothing to show for my time in S&E besides fun memories of Legos and AutoCAD.
9. I love going to see live performances: music, comedy, theatre, what have you. Theatre is usually too expensive for me to enjoy more than occasionally, but last night I bought tickets to go see War Horse in San Francisco on my birthday! Now I just have to wait eight months…
10. More than meat, more than cheese or other dairy, I think the hardest thing for me to give up if I were to go vegan would be eggs. I love eggs and egg-based dishes. I’m planning on making custards this weekend, actually. At least I’ve committed myself to buying eggs from more ethical sources, as I’ve been trying to work towards with all the animal products in my diet.
11. Flavors I hate in my tea: licorice, chamomile, mint. One of Mike’s friends actually gave me some herbal tea this Christmas that managed to combine all three, and just thinking about it makes me shudder with revulsion. Anybody want some tea?
Here are my answers to Ki’s questions:
1. Paperback or e book reader? Both! I believe both can live in harmony, as they both serve different purposes.
2. Skirts or pants? Used to be I would say pants, but like much of the fashion-blogging community, I’ve migrated towards skirts more and more, especially since I got my first desk job and I wasn’t running around doing elder care anymore.
3. Coke or Pepsi? I’m not crazy about either (I’m a root beer kinda gal), but a half-liter of Mexican Coke in a glass bottle is pretty nice when I’m down in Guaymas.
4. Summer or winter? Summer! I do love the winter aesthetic of tights and scarves and all, but I hate hate hate being cold. It makes me feel miserable and exhausted.
5. If you had to learn a foreign language which one would it be? If I had to? I love learning foreign languages! The hard part is retaining them. If I had to commit myself to being fluent in one, I’d say German.
6. What is your comfort food? There are a couple that I turn to, especially if I’m being lazy and don’t want to spend forever cooking. Ramen with egg and spinach or edamame is one, tamago kake gohan is another. If someone else is doing the cooking, I love soup–any soup.
7. Which fashion trend would you never wear? Colored corduroy; I think I’ve said that I find the tactile sensation of corduroy absolutely vile.
8. What is your dream job? I would looooove to work with books. For a long time I’ve been telling people that my eventual goal is to work in a publishing house, but I also harbor a secret dream of becoming a librarian (which is a secret dream because it seems foolish, seeing as how there are way more qualified librarians than available positions out there right now).
9. Which is the next place you would like to travel to? Most likely, I’ll end up going back to Germany/Austria with my mom sometime in the next few years, and I’m looking forward to it. In the short-term, I want to take a day trip down to Monterey and go to the aquarium again, because I haven’t been in a couple of years!
10. What are your wardrobe staples? Oh jeez. I don’t know if I have any staples because my wardrobe has been in such flux since I started doing this blog with Tia. Underwear. Underwear is a staple, and so are shelf-bra camisoles, because I almost always need an extra layer for my core in the winter, and I usually just wear them as tops in the summer.
11. Who is your most favourite person in the whole world? Don’t make me choose! Different people mean different things to me. I’ll go ahead and say my family’s dog Toby, because he’s a furry little goofball and I miss him right now.
I tag: Eleven people who want to do this meme! (I’m a stinker. But I also realize that endless chain memes get kind of annoying, especially if you’re not as into talking about yourself as I am.) Okay, Tia and ten other people who want to do this meme.
Here are my questions:
1. What’s your favorite way to wear your hair?
2. What’s the last thing you ate?
3. Savory or sweet?
4. Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?
5. Who’s your favorite fictional character right now?
6. WHAT ARE YOU READING TELL ME TELL ME. If you’re not reading anything, WHY NOT.
7. What’s the best new item you just added to your wardrobe? (“New” can be relative.)
8. What’s the worst timewaster in your life?
9. Are you an early riser or a stay-up-late-r? Both? Neither? A hibernator?
10. What’s the weirdest food that you like?
11. What are you really looking forward to right now?
I know these are some hard-hitting questions. I’m practically Barbara Walters. Take that and think about your Friday, neeps ‘n’ peeps!