The Liebster Award recognizes up-and-coming bloggers with 500 followers or less. And would you look at that, Ruby Bastille saw fit to pass it on to Reading in Skirts! Laura is one of my favorites and I love talking books with her. Thanks, Laura! (The bribe is in the mail!)
- Acknowledge the blogger who nominated you.
- You must answer the 10 Liebster questions given to the nominee before you.
- You must pick 10 bloggers to be nominated who also have 500 subscribers or less.
- You must create 10 questions for your nominees.
You know I can’t resist a good blog meme, so let’s do this.
1. It’s game night! What do you want to play?
Something without too many complicated rules and tokens and things. (I’m really bad at Euro-style gaming, okay?) Something quick and simple makes me happy, like Love Letter or Guillotine! Or Spaceteam, if I have my phone and I feel like screaming for a while.
2. What’s the best book you read in the last year?
Okay, I’m going to refuse to commit to ONE BEST BOOK because that’s just humanly impossible, but I recently read Susanna Clarke’s short story collection The Ladies of Grace Adieu and was extremely pleased! My expectations were way high thanks to the amazingness of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and she still met them.
3. The book you’re reading currently is terrible/boring/not what you expected. Do you quit reading, or do you force yourself through it?
I’m actually going through this right now, and feeling very disappointed because I was looking forward to it. (Shan’t name names because it…might still get better?) In this case, I keep giving it extra chances because it’s written by an author whose work I normally enjoy–usually if it’s someone I’ve never read before, I’ll quit. Why waste my time?
4. You have the opportunity to do any extreme sport, whether or not you actually know how to do it, with very little risk of serious injury. What would you do?
I wanna say surfing (does that count as an extreme sport?) but I know there are appropriative roots in white people surfing, so I’m gonna say hang-gliding. That would be pretty friggin’ sweet, high-fiving eagles and shit.
5. What movie have you seen so many times that you basically have it memorized?
There are a number of them (as a kid I watched Zoom, The White Dolphin so many times my dad took it and put it on a high shelf where I couldn’t reach it)–one I just watched again recently is the MST3k episode of Mitchell. “Word on the street is, you’re a jerk!”
6. What book or movie coming out in 2014 are you most looking forward to?
CLARIEL. CLARIEL CLARIEL CLARIEL. Furthermore, Clariel.
7. Do you like science fiction? (Hope so!) What’s your favorite book/TV show/movie?
Yes indeedy! One of my favorite SF books is Riddley Walker, by Russell Hoban (the same guy who wrote the Frances the Badger books–dude contained multitudes), and my favorite overall series–which I’m not yet done with–is Kage Baker’s Company books. Re: TV shows, I have a soft spot for Eureka; most of its science is suuuper hand-wavy (and I have weird feelings about what they did with Kevin’s autism), but there are multiple main characters of color (including women of color!) who are so interestingly written and complex. As for movies, I’ll fangirl over Pacific Rim anytime, and I’ll also probably make you sit down and watch Moon with me if you haven’t seen it already.
8. Do you watch the news?
Not…really. We don’t get TV, so I don’t watch any news programs, but I sometimes read the local paper. Honestly, I get most of my news info from the smart, hardworking activists I follow on Twitter, and through other internet sources.
9. What talent or ability are you most proud of?
When I’m not hating it all as garbage, I’m pretty proud of my writing skills! I’m also inappropriately proud of the fact that I can squat on the ground with my feet flat, because apparently not everyone can.
10. You get to use a time machine to go back in time and meet three different people and do only three things: punch someone, hug someone, and have a drink with someone. Who would you punch, who would you hug, and who would you have a drink with?
Punch: Jessica. Hug: Jessica. Have a drink with: Jessica.
Ten bloggers I’ll “nominate” (aka do this if you feel like, and if you don’t, ignore it! I know memes aren’t for everybody):
- Flint Hills Hausfrau
- Megan Mae Daily
- Plus Size Curves Ahead!
- Brittknee, Brittneigh, Brittnoo
- My (Not So) Style Blog
- His Black Dress
- My Darling, My Dear
- Star-Crossed Smile
- Swear Jars & Shoe Funds
- More Courage Than Skill
(Also, I have very little idea of how to check the overall number of followers you have, so don’t hold me to that rule.)
And the questions you must answer truthfully, under penalty of…nothing, really:
- What’s your desktop background right now?
- Are you more of an asker or a guesser?
- If you drink, what’s your favorite cocktail? If not, what’s your favorite thing people ask you when they want to know why you don’t drink?
- Would you rather have super-long fingernails or super-long eyebrows?
- Do you write the number 8 with two circles or as a “figure eight”?
- What’s your least-favorite fruit?
- What’s your go-to summer food or recipe?
- If it’s not too personal, do you have any food allergies?
- How do you leave a party?
- If you’re unhappy with food, will you return it?
Go forth and Liebster, my charming ones!